New to Vaping
New to vaping? Here’s what you need to know
Vaping has taken the world by storm and has become the biggest trend since smoking cigarettes in the 80’s. Nowadays, as people are starting to take more interest in their health, the stigma around smoking has increased, and the anti-smoking laws have become stricter, many people are trying to put out their cigarettes for good. As any smoker would know, this is one of the hardest habits to kick. Thank goodness, then, for vaping – the healthier alternative to smoking. Let’s take a closer look at what exactly vaping is and how you can get started with the right equipment.
What is vaping?
Vaping, generally seen as a transitional method to systematically quit smoking cigarettes, has become more of a trend. Unlike cigarette smoking – often criticised as a nasty habit – vaping is seen as more of a hobby and has garnered a loyal following all over the world. Put simply, vaping is inhaling the vapours of heated flavoured liquid. But there is a lot more to the process than meets the eye. Vaping is much safer compared to smoking, as it doesn’t contain any harmful tobacco, tar or dangerous additives.
The vaping process
Vaping requires various components: a powered device to facilitate this process, the e-liquid and an atomiser. The atomiser contains a coil that heats up the e-liquid, turning it into a vapour. The e-liquid is made up of four main chemicals/components: vegetable glycerine (that produces the vapour), the flavouring, the flavour carrier – propylene glycol – and nicotine. With vaping, you don’t smell like cigarette smoke, as there is no actual combustion, and the vapours – evaporating within a few seconds after exhaling – aren’t harmful to those around you. You get different variants of e-cigs and liquids, but not all are of the same standard and quality.
Sharpen up on your vaping terminology
Simply referring to your device as an e-cigarette won’t cut it. Remember, vaping is a trendy activity which means you need to be familiar with the lingo. You want to be able to get your hands on the best quality equipment and products, and also engage in discussions with fellow vapers.
- E-liquid - this is the flavoured liquid heated by the coil to create the vapour you inhale. The e-liquid is available in different strengths and hundreds of different flavours.
- Mod - the power device that hosts the battery and provides power to the atomiser.
- Atomiser - The device connects to the mod and houses the e-liquid and heating coil. Atomisers can be classified into two categories: Tanks and Drippers.
- Tank - Atomiser that has a certain capacity for housing e-liquid.
- Dripper - Atomiser that has no tank and stores the e-liquid within the wick.
- Wick - Material used to feed the liquid to the coil. The main material used is pure organic cotton.
- Coil - The heating element housed in the atomiser which heats up the liquid to produce vapour from of the flavoured liquid.
- Drip tip - plastic or metal mouthpiece at the end to the atomiser from which the vapour is inhaled.
For complete kits which contains all of the above, check out the Kits category on our website.
*Note: For some kits, a removable battery needs to be purchased separately.