Most modern vape devices can be cleaned and maintained quite easily to make them last longer and improve flavour.
Having to clean anything – whether it’s washing floors or rubbing the genie out of your vaping device – can be a bit of a show stopper. Think of it this way, though: replacing your coil and regularly cleaning the parts could actually save you a buck or two. Newer devices mostly rely on a reusable tank for e-liquid, meaning that apart from the device itself, the tank too will thank you for some TLC.
While each device comes with maintenance instructions, we’ve put together a few simple rules for you for easy reference.
So what’s the big deal with cleaning one’s vape?
Maintaining your vape will not only help it live longer – it’ll also remove that burnt taste that develops after a while.
- Cleaning your device will make both your tank and coil last longer, while neglecting to do so will kill it before its time.
- A bit of a scrub will put the tiger back in your tank. Build-up in the tank and coil can tune down performance quite dramatically, as can clogged air vents.
- And best of all, you get to savour the flavour – cleaning your tank and coil will give you a fresher taste sensation. At the very least, make a point of rinsing your vape tank if you switch flavours to stop ghost-flavouring, where two different flavours overlap.
When should I clean my device?
Your vape is calling out for a good clean when you start getting that nasty burnt taste, or you find you can still pick up an earlier flavour (called ghost-flavouring, as explained above). Ghost-flavouring can even happen while continuing to use the same flavour, from residue that starts tasting bad.
The removal of residue also helps extend the life of your device.
Easy cleaning steps to follow
There are different ways of cleaning your vape. The easiest is to take it apart and clean the separate parts with warm water to get rid of the build-up. You can also deep clean the separate components with flavourless, high-proof alcohol (vodka works well).
Although each device and brand works slightly differently and comes with its own set of instructions, most contain the following essential components:
- The tank: The e-liquid is stored in a vape tank, from where it is converted into vapour. The tank is usually combined with an atomiser to form a unit.
- Coil: The coil is the heating element that converts the e-liquid into vapour.
- Battery: This is the power source. It can look different on different devices. Batteries are normally rechargeable using a USB connection.
Cleaning the vape tank
- Take off the top and bottom of the tank by unscrewing the different components. Discard any remaining e-liquid from the chamber.
- Rinse the tank in some warm water to wash away any leftover liquid.
- To deep clean the tank and break down sticky deposits, moisten a microfibre cloth or paper towel with some high-proof alcohol and wipe the tank all over. Then rinse it with warm water.
- You can also run the tank through a jewellery cleaning machine to get rid of stubborn dirt.
- Dry the tank with a piece of paper towel. Pull it back and forth through the tank until it is completely dry.
- Leave the device to air-dry for at least ten minutes before reassembling it and refilling the tank. Be sure to prime the coil before using it again.
- Never use boiling water or soak your device overnight. This might damage some of the parts.
Cleaning and replacing the coil
The job of the coil is to heat up the e-liquid and turn it into vapour. Simply put, it is a wire wrapped in a spiral shape around the wick that connects the positive and negative parts of the battery inside the atomiser head.
To improve the lifespan and enjoyment of your device, you need to clean or replace the coil regularly – depending on how often you use it. A new coil should last between one and two weeks, depending on how fast the e-liquid residue builds up.
It’s possible to stretch out the life of your coil a bit by throttling back on the power – using your device on a lower setting means the coil will last longer. And, of course, the more you vape, the quicker you’ll use up the coil.
It’s worth noting that not all coils can be cleaned. Fixed, absorbent wicks could retain water and dirt and it might be better to replace the part. Vaper’s Corner stocks a wide variety of coils for vape pens and e-cigarettes.
Making the best of a new coil
The best way to improve the lifespan of a new coil is to prime it. This can also save you from having to replace the atomiser head.
When installing a new coil, the wick is still dry and you run the risk of burning the atomiser. To prevent this, leave the device upright for a few minutes to soak in e-liquid. Then inhale before you switch on the device.
Improve the lifespan of your e-device, vape tank, atomiser head and coils by keeping to a regular cleaning routine. This will not only save you a lot of money in the long run but will improve your enjoyment of your vape. Also important is to make sure you follow the instructions for your particular device and replace the parts with the right brand. Vaper’s Corner stocks a host of parts, cleaning kits and brand new devices and will deliver right to your doorstep.